Saturday, August 2, 2008

Mirror Mirror


How many of you remember the fairytale of Snow White?

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who in the land is fairest of all?" to which the mirror always replies "You, my queen, are fairest of all.” And then she knew for certain that no one in the world was more beautiful than she. But when Snow White reaches the age of seven, she becomes as beautiful as the day, and when the queen asks her mirror, it responds: "Queen, you are full fair, 'tis true, but Snow White is fairer than you."

What is interesting about the fairytale is that the Queen looked to the mirror to assess her beauty. But when the mirror failed to tell her what she wanted to hear, she demanded that the “new” beauty be destroyed.

I see so many of us living out that fairytale daily. We look to the media: magazines, celebrities, television, and our peers to measure our self-worth and our beauty.

The true beauty of self lies within each of us. Each day, you should be able to see yourself in the mirror and reflect on the beauty of your spirit. When you recognize your own beauty, your own specialness, others too will see you as special. So try this affirmation….


Mirror Mirror, I tell the truth
This beautiful spirit you see is
proof
That each day I live the best I can be
My own beauty and self worth,
I proudly see!

6 comments:

Bruno LoGreco said...

What a memory indeed - this very scenario plays out every hour of everyday. Self-love is at the core of eternal happiness.

Excellent post - Thank you for the referral! :)

Have an excellent day!

Sandra said...

Thanks and You're Welcome!
Peace :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Media images do tend to be detrimental. Staying grounded in a true sense of self is so-o-o important. I like the poem.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

When I was at school I didn't like my appearance, I had a lot of complexes. But then something changed in my mind and I began taking care of myself. I noticed that since the time when my own attitude to my individuality had changed, people surrounding me began percepting me another way.

Sandra said...

Karen,
Cheers to the Beautiful You! It’s amazing that when we see ourselves as beautiful, others see us that way too. That’s why the phrase all brides are beautiful on their wedding day is so true. When we see love reflected around us, those rays reflect back and boundless radiance unfolds.

Anonymous said...

This is such good advice. It is alarming how we are inundated by ridiculous, and often impossible, and definitely unrealistic standards of beauty. AND whether or not we reach that intangible level of "supposed" beauty often sadly depicts our self worth.

There is an excellent old documentary about this issue called: KILLING ME SOFTLY. Although made several years ago it is absolutely pertinent today. If you can get hold of a copy it is worth seeing and showing to a group of young women...woman any age. Have a women's party and all watch it together.

Valuable post!
Good job.
Hugs,
Robin