Saturday, August 30, 2008

Dear...........


This week I had the pleasure of finishing a wonderful book called the Wednesday Letters by Jason Wright. I enjoyed it so much that it inspired me to write this blog entry on the lost art of letter writing.

When I was growing up I had 82 pen pals from all over the world. It was kind of cool, I had a big world map on the wall in my bedroom, and I had push pins in all the countries where my friends resided. I loved getting mail from friends all over the world. I loved sharing experiences about my life in the US and theirs from whatever country they were from.

I learned to love letter writing. It was a process to pick the right stationery, the right stamps, and even as to what color pens to use. As I found out when I was young, not to use red ink when I write because it perceived anger. You see, through letter writing, I became culturally aware of others and how we are all connected in the Universe.

Now that the world is so much smaller because of the internet, letter writing seems to be disappearing somewhat. As much as I love email, it is not the same as opening a letter from a long lost friend. So to all my friends out there this is for you.


How are you? I hope all is well. What’s up where you are? I am
well. Today is a great day because I get to connect with you.

Write Back Soon,
Sandra

10 comments:

Jason Wright said...

What a lovely post. Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm thrilled you enjoyed the book, but even more so that you also believe in the lost art of letter writing :)

Sandra said...

Jason,
You are welcome. I really loved the book! Thanks for stopping by.
Peace :-)

Leanne Lonergan said...

The art of letter writing is a 'lost art'. My sister and I recently shut down a business we were running called Future Letter Office because of a disappointing response. The idea - write a letter to someone you love that is to be delivered at a future date. Say a parent to a child when the child graduates or a grandparent to a child when they get married. It was sad that everyone raved about the Future letter idea but didn't act on writing letters!

Anonymous said...

This post caused me to reminisce about my own childhood penpals. They opened doors to far away worlds for me and inspired me to live the life I evolved to create. Its is incredible how much we learn about ourselves through writing to people in different capacities. If you so choose, communication is very rewarding. It only becomes lost if you give it up and no longer believe in it.

Bruno LoGreco said...

For those that enjoyed writing letters, I could see how email among other tools have stolen the fun out of writing letters to friends from around the world. There is something to be said when you could articulate a thought or emotion with a different colour pen and the person reading the letter could feel it. Unfortunately I was not so talented and welcomed the idea of typing instead of writing. :)

Sandra said...

Liara,
Where were your penpals from? Did you ever meet them. A few your ago, I had a phone convesation with one of them and I tell you it was goofy and fun. All we could say to each other was wow!
Peace :-)

Sandra said...

Bruno,
Typing is definitely faster, I give you that. What ever medium we choose is not important as long as we are all communicating with each other.
Peace :-)

Sandra said...

Leanne,
Your business was a great idea! I sue could have used your services. In fact, I could use it now. LOL. There never seems to be enough time to handwrite everything. Peace :-)

Anonymous said...

This is an important post because in our lifetime we are witnessing the loss of letter writing. An historic shift...or if you will....evolution.

I realized recently that I have not seen many of my friends hand writing because we all do email. I would not know their signature or style of writing from Adam, only their name.

I miss the mediation of holding a pencil or pen in my hand and writing my feelings. The computer is great for professional writing due to the expedient editing capabilities, but something is lost without that paper and pen. So I have taken to carrying a journal to write thoughts and poetry on my hikes...with good old pen and paper. I love it.

What an amazing child you were to have 82 pen pals. I love that story!! How healthy!! :) :)

Anonymous said...

I loved your post. And I would've loved the future letter business, too!
Speaking of The Wednesday Letters, I work with Jason and thought you’d like knowing he has a new contest on his web site where you can win a free trip-for-two to his hometown in VA, the Shenandoah Valley. All you have to do is mail him a Christmas card! All the details are here:

http://www.jasonfwright.com/triptosvalley.php