Tuesday, July 28, 2009

¿Dream Job?


Recently clearing out an old file, I ran across a description on what I was looking for in an ideal job from my youth. Idealistic, Naïve, or Impractical…? You be the judge.

I dream a world of togetherness, a job that is not work. It is cliché to say that making a difference is what I want to do with my life. The job I want should not just be a job, or a career, but a vocation.

I know that I am destined to be a revolutionary leader. A revolutionary leader holds the vision of an organization in their head, making it possible for others to share the same dream. Respect, encouragement, and motivation are my biggest leadership assets. I enjoy supervising others with the point of view that you cannot micromanage someone and help them to grow. We all make mistakes. The best teachable moment occurs when you give someone the opportunity to spread their wings while providing safety nets.

I want to work in a collective organization where being a part is part of the whole. This is an environment where colleagues come together to inspire each other daily. I know that when work stops being stimulating or fun, we should stop the madness and no longer go into a toxic place. The workspace should have an atmosphere that encourages laughter and tears, for both offers worlds of support. Some days working is hard but sharing the fun and the pain gives you the courage to continue for another day.

I am an extraordinary leader who looks behind and people are not only following me but they are developing into leaders themselves. My dream job is out here. I know this to be true because we are building a new society of visionary leaders who get inspired just the way I do.

I must say that reading this made me smile for my idealism, and for the jobs, I loved along my vocational journey and saddened me for opportunities missed. It occurred to me that in today’s challenging world, most people are scared to articulate what their dream job is. Should we be running so scared from our dreams and ideals that we drift aimlessly into thoughts of I will do it someday, maybe tomorrow, or worse yet, the chance opportunity is gone. The question then becomes, if not now when?


¿What is your dream job?

2 comments:

Calabash Creations said...

Great post! I agree with your sentiment - we should follow our hearts and go for our dreams -- our dreams and goals shed light on where we should be and what we should be doing with our lives.

Liara Covert said...

To reflect back on a perspective of who you perceived the self to be is very educational during a process of raising self-awareness. This enables you to take the observer stance. As you brainstorm the emotional energy that stands out, you are actively identifying the areas of healing that require attention at soul level. Anything other than unconditional acceptance and equality for all means you deviate from a baseline. One view is people do not aspire for a particular job. They are using their sense of ambition or desire as an exercise in self-learning about the ego self.