Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cast Your Bread Upon the Waters



Happy New Year! Rosh Hashanah the Jewish New Year began at sundown last night. I always love New Year Celebrations no matter what the culture may be. It gives us a time to stop and reflect on the past year and make affirmations on the new. Today a friend and I decided to celebrate in our own way. A new beginning.

We went to the beach and cast our bread upon the water and became one with the earth, water, sky, and all that is good in this world. Sharing our bread with the Sea Birds was amazing. When we started on the beach there was one lone gull. His cry to others that an abundance of food was being shared brought birds from a far to share in our bounty. (For a minute, it looked like a scene from the Hitchcock movie the birds)

It was a peaceful day to be one with the Universe. A day to start fresh and start anew. A New Year begins so that we may live life to its fullest and more abundantly.



Cast your bread on the waters: for you shall find it after many days (Ecclesiastes 11:1)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

L'Shana Tova to you as well.

Anonymous said...

This is very dear and light-feeling post. It inspired freedom and hope in me. Such a lovely photo. I too have fed the gulls on an empty beach at sunset and it made me feel so peaceful and alive. Such a simple thing and yet it someone let all my worries drift away. I forgot myself and became lost in the sound of the sea and the gulls.

Anonymous said...

Back in university, I was an au pair for a family that was half-jewish and half christian. The family celebrated holidays and traditions from both religions. Seagulls have particular significance for me. I reminisce about childhood summers near the ocean where seagulls would greet me on the rocky beach.