Friday, May 9, 2008

Don’t Let Fear Interrupt Your Joy


The other day, I had a phone conversation with my sister. I was sharing something very personal and talking about my fears. She said to me, “How would you coach someone in this situation.” I laughed through my fear and said that’s easy. I would tell them to leap and the net will appear. She then said take your own advice and just do it. So what if it doesn’t work out. So what if you get hurt. Then she said something so profound that it brought me to near tears. She said, “Don’t get me wrong if it doesn’t work out you will be hurt, but I will be there for you, to hold you through your tears and you will survive and carry on.”

In that precious moment, she reminded me that we often let fear interrupt our joy. When we think something wondrous is just around the corner, we stop….. paralyzed with the fears of the “what if” syndrome.

Yet as I was aptly reminded what if something absolutely magical is about to happen?

Today, leap boldly into the unknown and
experience life’s joy in all its wonder.

4 comments:

Bruno LoGreco said...

Why do we often fear the unknown?

Sandra said...

Bruno,
You hit it on the head. Because it is unknown. Let's face it, if we knew what we were going into we would not be as scared or we would think we were prepared for whatever is coming our way.

Anonymous said...

Another way to view this is to remind yourself that fear is an ilusion. Last year, I wrote a similar blog post on this theme:

http://blog.dreambuilders.com.au/journal/2007/9/20/deny-the-power-of-fear-to-conceal-joy.html

Sandra said...

Liara,
How true fear is an illusion. As the old adage goes Fear = False Evidence Appearing Real. Your blog post was also spot on. Peace :-)