Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Good vs. Evil Charity Style

The other night I watched the finale of the Celebrity Apprentice. Yes I was hooked on the series. I thought it was great that the celebrities would put their money and faces to help a great cause. However in my humble opinion Donald Trump missed the boat on this. The two final applicants were Trace Atkins (Good) vs. Piers Morgan (Evil)

Donald Trump allowed evil to triumph that night because Piers won. Now don’t get me wrong, Piers did a fabulous job raising money but he still missed the boat. Trace’s charity was a smaller charity and people gave money according to scale and to me by far that was the bigger gift.

How many times do charities receive donations from celebrities but was is the impact. Will the celebrities and their friends continue to give? Will they visit the charity? Will they practice true stewardship by donating their time, talent and treasure?

For me Trace Atkins’ charity was personal. As a child who grew up with severe allergies I praise him for bringing a smaller known charity to greater visibility. The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network or http://www.foodallergy.org/

Donald Trump said that he wanted to see a battle between good and evil but he didn’t see that at all. What he did was base the reward solely on the money raised. Yes, it made great television and a lot of money was raised for two awesome charities. However I would have to say to the Donald- You are fired!!

Good always wins in the end!!!

No comments: