Friday, January 22, 2010

Lessons of Hope


The Haitian earthquake has brought attention and compassion to a country that has lost so much. Every day we hear about the death and the plight of the Haitian people. What impresses me most is the hope and faith of Haitians in the midst of utter despair.

This is a lesson in what it means to have faith and hope. When life is at its darkest, continue to hold on. I watched the news as they pulled a man from the rubble, and he was praising God. His shouts of joy and gratitude after being literally buried alive for almost a week are the stories of the miraculous.

The countless incredible stories of survival in the midst of the Haitian tragedy made me rethink my situation and those who are struggling. I was recently asked how it was going for me in this tough economy. I started to answer by going down the road of the “a’int it awful club.” I did an about face and corrected myself. I stated emphatically that I am doing well. For you see when I look at what is happening in Haiti, I have no reason to complain. I have the basics of life: food, water, shelter and I am alive! Trust me that reality check really puts things in perspective.

I am confident that the Haitian People will survive this, as they are a strong, independent, and faith-filled people. Haiti was the first Black republic in the world and the first country in the Western hemisphere to abolish slavery completely. Haiti is a country that can inspire the rest of the world to have hope.